Margaret Mini tree diagram

Geoffrey DANIELL

about 1500 - 1561

Life History

about 1500

Born in ,Cheshire

before 1537

Married Margaret

9th Jul 1558

Wrote will in Preshute, Wiltshire.1

1561

Died in Preshute, Wiltshire

4th Feb 1561

Probate in ,London.1

By Richard Franklin and his daughter Bridget Franklin.

Notes

  • Geoffray Daniell was a JP and gentleman of Marlborough in the service of both Ann of Cleves and Catherine Parr as surveyor.  He sat as MP for Devizes which was in the Queen's gift.  He was a native of Cheshire but is living and paying tax in Marlborough in 1543 when he leased lands formerly belonging to Jane Seymour.  He was of the Inner Temple in London and obviously in and around the Court in London.  By 1537 he was married to Margaret widow of one Godwin of Chippenham and of Richard Hitchcock.

    See "The House of Commons: 1509 - 1558 ; 1, Appendices, constituencies ..., Volume 4
    By Stanley T. Bindoff, John S. Roskell, Lewis Namier, Romney Sedgwick, David Hayton, Eveline Cruickshanks, R. G. Thorne, P. W. Hasler" available on Google Books

    From: 'Parishes: Preshute', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 12: Ramsbury and Selkley hundreds; the borough of Marlborough (1983), pp. 160-184.
    URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk

    St Margaret is now part of Marlborough but was then in the parish of Preshute.  It is the name of a manor which took its name from the priory of St Margaret.  The Manor passed to the Crown at the Dissolution.  From 1539 the site of the priory was held in dower by the queens of Henry VIII, but in 1544 the king granted it to Geoffrey Daniell with tenements in Marlborough and Newbury Street. Geoffrey died c. 1561 and in 1604 his nephew William Daniell, M.P. for Marlborough in 1558 and 1559, died seized of the manor, which passed in the direct male line to William (d 1621), William, Geoffrey, M.P. for Marlborough in 1660 and 1661, and William Daniell (d.s.p. 1698), M.P. for Marlborough 1695-8.

    The manor house, called St. Margaret's Farm or the Old Monastery, stood at the junction of the Marlborough-Salisbury road and Isbury Road until demolished c. 1930. It was of stone rubble and flint, with stone dressings and roofed with stone tiles, five bays wide with an extension.  The lower courses of a priory building and fragments of the house occupied by the Daniells, including the date 1680 on a south wall, are said to have been part of the house in the early 20th century when some medieval woodwork apparently survived in it. Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, may have died there in 1612.

    The Visitation of Wiltshire in 1623 shows a different line for Geoffrey's sibling. He is named as George and his eldest son was William (noted as being of St Margaret's) who was buried in Preshute 26 Jun 1621. His eldest son, again William Daniell of St Margaret's, married Cicilia Erneley, their eldest son was William who was father of Jeffery (baptised 29 Jun 1626).

Page created using GEDmill 1.11.0